Any time you buy a new pair of shoes, you should try to make sure that your feet are as comfortable as possible. Choosing shoes that are stylish is only one part of the equation. You also need to make sure that they fit well. 👠
By purchasing shoes that are sized correctly for your feet, you can reduce the chances of developing a number of different foot-related conditions. Try using these tips to get the perfect fit 🤗.
Basic shoe buying tips
- Shop for shoes later in the day. Your feet have a tendency to swell throughout the day, meaning that they get larger. Waiting to shop until the afternoon or early evening is the best way to ensure that your shoes are roomy enough for your feet. 😯
- Avoid shoes that are too tight by making sure that you have plenty of room to move your toes. Ideally, you should choose shoes that have a round or square toe rather than a pointed toe to minimize the risk of problems like hammertoes and bunions.
- Check to make sure that your feet are the same size. 📏 Most people have one slightly larger foot. Buy shoes based on the largest measurement to ensure that both of your feet have enough room.
- Wear the same socks that you usually wear when shopping for shoes. Bring along any shoe inserts that you plan on using, as well.
- Adjust your size as you age. Most people find that their shoe size goes up as they grow older. 👴
- Check the fit of the shoes around your ankles.
- If you have to cram your feet into a pair of shoes because they are an unusual shape, you should skip them and opt for a more comfortable pair instead. 👟
- Don’t buy shoes based on the size alone since sizes vary between manufacturers. Instead, always try shoes on to make sure they fit.
- When trying on shoes, walk around a bit to make sure that they are comfortable. If they feel too stiff or too small, don’t buy them. You shouldn’t have to break them in. 🙅
- Look for shoes that are well padded and that have special features that are designed to absorb shock.
- Choose shoes that provide excellent support for your arches. Conditions like plantar fasciitis or painful arches can result from shoes that don’t provide enough support in the arch area.
- If your shoes don’t fit right, it can lead to problems like fallen arches, painful heels, hammertoes, and bunions. 🤕
- If necessary, use custom orthotic insoles to get a great fit or to help alleviate pain.
- When trying on shoes for athletic activities, move your feet in the same way that you will during the sport or activity to make sure the shoes are comfortable and supportive. Athletic shoes are specifically designed to provide protection to the feet during different types of movements based on the materials they are made of and the way that they lace up. 👟
- When choosing shoes, look for a pair that is not only made out of high-quality materials but that is also comfortable to wear. A proper fit will help you avoid problems like rubbing or blistering.
- Buying shoes that are designed for a specific sport is important if you compete professionally or if you are serious about your athletic pursuits. If you are just looking for a pair of supportive shoes that you can wear when you are active, however, you can go for basic athletic shoes instead. 👍
- Pay attention to how your shoes feel when you wear them. You will usually be able to sense when you need to replace your old pair of athletic shoes with a new one.
Shoes for men
Ideally, men should look for shoes that have a similar shape to the actual shape of their foot. 😯 The toe box should have plenty of room to accommodate the front of the foot, both in terms of its length and its height. Look for shoes with heels that measure about half an inch. Although shoes with hard soles are acceptable, shoes with soft soles are generally a lot more comfortable to wear. 😍 If you have a job where you are on your feet most of the day, choose a pair of shoes that is adequately cushioned and that has soft, flexible soles.
There are a number of different styles of shoes that are appropriate for men, ranging from classic styles like oxfords and wingtips to more casual styles like loafers, slip-on shoes, and boots. 👢
Shoes for women
Shoe shopping can be particularly challenging for women. For the best support and comfort, women should look for lace-up walking shoes with sturdy soles, plenty of room in the heel area, and a lot of padding and support. The heel height should measure no higher than 3/4″. 👠
Wearing high heels is one of the worst things that you can do for your feet. If you have to wear them for your job, focus on minimizing the amount of time that you keep them on. Switch to flats or tennis shoes throughout the day whenever you can. 👡 If possible, opt for shoes with heels that measure less than an inch. Try to find shoes that have a rounded or square toe so there is plenty of room in the toe box. Walking pumps are a good option. These shoes are designed to be fashionable while at the same time offering additional support and comfort. For instance, they usually have more room in the toe area, a more supportive heel, and support through the arch area of the foot. 😃
Avoid choosing the wrong shoes to minimize pain. Choosing shoes with extremely high heels, for instance, can not only cause pain in your feet, ankles, lower legs, knees, and back but it can also lead to a number of foot conditions. 😟 Shoes with high heels usually have an extremely narrow toe. This pushes the toes together in a shape that is a bit like a triangle. It also causes the weight of the body to be incorrectly distributed, putting additional strain on the ball area of the foot. This can lead to painful conditions like hammertoes and bunions. 🤕