9 pretty fabric masks to buy in #MyDubai right now
The Pandemic has changed a lot of things around the world, from our habits, working patterns, outings, travel plans, lifestyle, the way we greet each other, and so much more. That being said, wearing masks has become critical – to not spread + get the virus.
Wearing masks have now become a necessity, so much, that it has become a part of our outfit. Want to step out? Wear a mask. Want to just throw the trash? Wear a mask. Want to shop? Wear a mask. Want to just get some fresh air? Sure, but wear the mask. ?
Not only have multiple existing brands started creating BEAUTIFUL mask designs, but several brands have also emerged JUST to create masks! Although surgical masks or the N95’s are the SAFEST masks in the market, fabric masks are now gaining momentum due to it being environmentally friendly, comfortable, ease in breathability, smoothness, and aesthetics. ? I decided to write this listicle as I started getting a TON of questions on where I get my masks from.
Before I jump into my listicle on some of the fabric masks I own, I want to just clear the air on the BIGGEST FAQ I’ve receive, “ARE THEY SAFE?”. ? To answer this, I’ve done some research;
- As per WHO, every fabric mask MUST have 3 layers- The outer layer of the mask should have a water-resistant fabric. The inner layer should be water-absorbent and the middle layer should act as a filter.
- A three-ply surgical mask is significantly better than a one-layered cloth mask at reducing droplet emissions caused by speaking, coughing, and sneezing, followed by a double-layer cloth face covering.
- If a fabric mask is 2 layered, ensure it has a pocket for a filter inside. Increasing the number of layers (at least three layers) is always beneficial. ?
- It’s not always easy, but try choosing fabric with a high thread count (so a tighter weave, for instance from a good quality sheet is generally better than a fabric with a looser weave that you can clearly see light through).
- Hybrid fabrics such as cotton–silk, cotton–chiffon, or cotton–flannel may be good choices because they provide better filtration and are more comfortable to wear.
- Ensure your mask fits and seals well around your face. ?
- Since fabric masks are not disposable after 1 wear, wash your mask daily after using it
- Lastly, it all boils down to you, wear whichever mask you’re comfortable with, but just ensure you’re wearing something that keeps you, and the people around you, SAFE!
If the above screenshot doesn’t suffice, you can watch the detailed video here. ?
Here’s a quick screenie on how you can create your own mask (or assess the masks you buy. Always good to be aware than sorry). ? Here’s the source of the below.
Without further ado, let’s begin the listicle! Oh, and please note:
- The costs of the mentioned masks are all scheduled to change based on supply, demand, customizations, fabric personalizations, etc. So please DM them in advance if you want to purchase a mask, and ask them your questions directly if you have any (especially how many layers are in the mask)
- CLICK the Instagram profile, each brand has a TON OF DESIGNS! I’m just showcasing 2 images each.
- You can either DM the brand, or visit their website directly to purchase. The website can be found in their Instagram bio.
- The below are not in ranking order! ?
1. Kind By Design [Starting from AED75]
3 layered masks.
2. Fly Masks [Starting from AED30]
2 layered masks with filter pockets.
3. The Custom Shop [Starting from AED100]
Masks are customizable (you can choose a design and monogram it too). ??
4. Vavci [Starting from AED50 for designs]
3 layered masks. Masks are customizable (you can choose a design and monogram it too).
5. Aina [Starting from AED40]
Usually 2 layers, but can be made into 3 upon request. Masks are customizable (you can choose a design and monogram it too). 10% of all sales go to charity. ?
6. Atelier Kimalda [Starting from AED150]
3 layered masks.
7. Eco Life [Starting from AED150]
3 layered masks.
8. Style Your Armoire [Starting from AED23]
2 Layered protective face masks with ear holes, made in super-flex fabric. Masks can also be customized to add your name in English/Arabic or a verse.
9. I Love Masks [Starting from AED15]
2 layered fabric masks.
Always wear your mask, wash your hands, take care, and stay safe! ♡