A favorite of celebrities from film, television, and music – Katana opens its doors in style at Downtown Dubai, all the way from the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles!
Katana’s award-winning interior design has stolen customers hearts in LA and is bound to do the same in Dubai. The ‘one-of-a-kind’ creative interiors has a modern twist to traditional folk art and is further enhanced by beautiful hand-painted murals. Not only does Katana get an A+ for it’s interiors, it even boasts the most fantastic view! The restaurant is perfectly situated at the base of The Address Downtown Dubai enabling diners to overlook the Dubai fountains against the spectacular Burj Khalifa.
Katana has introduced and is known for pioneering the ‘robatayaki’ style of Japanese ‘comfort’ cuisine featuring an array of robata style skewers that includes bamboo skewered gourmet fish, meat and vegetables grilled over a charcoal-induced open flame. These dishes can then be complemented with special hot and cold dishes from the kitchen or mouth watering sushis from the grand sushi bar. [Robatayaki 炉端焼き means “fireside cooking”; similar to barbequed dishes]
Katana is led by a talented chef, ‘Chef Lim’. His razor sharp ‘attention to detail’ is the reason Katana meets the expectations of every guest. Highlights at Katana includes: Katana’s signature popcorn shrimp, maguro carpaccio with truffles and parmesan and A5 Wagyu steak with Japanese vinaigrette.
Flipping pages continously is a given at Katana as concluding on which sushi roll or robata-yaki to order was nothing less than a task! My +1 and I finally concluded on the below;
The Robata-yaki dishes are served with 3 dipping sauces – Soy Mustard (perfect for poultry dishes), Ginger (for vegetarian dishes) and ponzu (for sea food)
1. Premium Edamame [AED20]
2. Saikyo Yaki [AED75] – This Black Cod marinated with Miso won my +1’s heart! I am personally not a fan of Black Cod because of the strong fish taste, but he sure loved it!
3. Tanuki [AED22] – 3 Shiitake Stuffed with Minced Chicken. I personally LOVE shiitake aka Japanese mushrooms! Without compromising on the quality, Katana has managed to ace this dish at a great cost.
4. Popcorn Shrimp [AED125] – This dish is a tad bit expensive for the quantity you receive. Each rock shrimp is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The exterior is glazed with miso that further enhances the flavor of the shrimps. You can’t really compare this to your usual ‘dynamite shrimps’ – it is indeed ‘one of a kind’ 😉
@KatanaDubai – 'New #Japanese restaurant alert' in Dubai all the way from #LosAngeles #Katana has the MOST beautiful @BurjKhalifa and #DubaiFountain view! Add me on snapchat 'Naomi.dsouza' to check it out Love love lovedd their starters but their Sushis are quiteee different in taste from what I've tasted in Dubai. I guess it's a good thing?
The Sushi Rolls tasted very different from the ones I have tried so far in Dubai. Is it a good or bad thing? You must decide! As everyone has different palates and I only hear contradictory opinions 😉
1. ‘California Roll’ [AED48] – A classic and fantastic combination of Crab and Avocado!
2. ‘Ebi Jalapeno’ [AED65] – It was mentioned this had popcorn shrimp tempura and jalapeno but I didn’t really feel the ‘spice’ from the jalapeno (although it did taste good). Moreover, I wished the tempura was crispier.
3. ‘Crab Dynamite’ [AED58] – I personally felt this sushi was not really a ‘dynamite’ as it was not spicy enough but was spiced with traditional spices. This really didn’t win me over but I have heard, it is very popular amongst the Europeans! 🙂
1. Green Tea Fondant with Coconut Icecream [AED55] – Does not look that great aesthetically as it’s GREEN 😛 but this dessert is the definition of ‘looks can be deceiving’. The matcha filling on the inside is made with white chocolate. Eerie combination but FANTASTIC taste! It is accompanied with coconut icecream and who knew this would be a match made in heaven? :-O
#Matcha/#GreenTea mixed with white #chocolate #fondant served with #Coconut Icecream!! How does that sound it sounded eerie to me but was SO GOOD the matcha flavor is made '#delicious' because of the chocolate; and with that #Icecream…. It was a match-a made is #heaven [AED55] Whole review up! Link in bio @KatanaDubai – the newest #Japanese hot spot in Dubai with @jitensharma60
2. Azuki Beans Brownie [AED57] – This decadent, rich and delicious chocolate, walnut and pecan brownie is topped with azuki beans and salted caramel milk chocolate mousse that was too salty for my liking. It is even served with salted caramel icecream that was very addictive in taste!
3. Lemon Sorbet – Delicious for people with a sour-lovin’ palate